Creekside Dentistry is a family dental practice in Amherst, New York. Our dentists begin seeing children at about age 3.5, which is when all or most of the primary teeth have erupted. We will see children at a younger age in emergency situations or by special request.
Pediatric Dentist vs. Family Dentist
A pediatric dentist is a specialist who primarily treats children and adolescents. A family dentist sees patients of all ages and is one who can grow with a child into adulthood. Families in Amherst NY have the convenience and flexibility to see a family dentist and have everyone’s oral health needs met under one roof.
About Pediatric Dentistry
The American Dental Association estimates that over 50% of first-graders and 80% of 17-year-olds have cavities. While there are many things parents can do to ensure the health of their children’s teeth, one of the best ways to prevent cavities and tooth decay in children is through regular visits to the dentist and routine dental cleanings.
Good oral health contributes to the overall health of a child and encourages positive self-image. The staff of Creekside Dentistry helps parents and guardians by teaching proper pediatric dental care and answering common questions about thumb sucking, tooth decay, orthodontic treatment, and wisdom teeth removal.
A Child’s First Visit to the Dentist
Routine pediatric dentistry visits will include:
- Teeth cleaning
- Fluoride treatment
- Diagnostic x-rays
- Periodontal screening (for gingivitis and gum disease)
- Dental caries (cavities) screening
- Examination of the temporomandibular joints (TMJ) and jaw position
Pediatric Dentistry Concerns
- Dental Sealants – Dr. Karl Neuhaus and Dr. Walter Neuhaus use dental sealants to prevent tooth decay, which form a barrier to protect the tooth surface. A dental sealant is a thin coating, made from a bio-compatible plastic. They can be placed in a single visit and offer long lasting protection.
- Sports Mouth Guard – A sports mouth guard is an excellent way to protect your child’s teeth from injury during sports. The guard usually covers the upper teeth; however, if your child wears braces or another fixed dental appliance on his or her lower jaw, the dentist may suggest a mouth protector for these teeth as well.
- Wisdom Teeth – Wisdom teeth typically erupt during the teenage years or early twenties. Creekside Dentistry offers wisdom teeth removal in the comfort of their Amherst dental office.
- Invisible Braces – Many teens who need orthodontic treatment prefer invisible braces. Dr. Neuhaus and Dr. Neuhaus offer Invisalign invisible braces for discreet, comfortable treatment.
Schedule an Appointment
Want to find a dentist in Amherst, NY or the surrounding areas of Tonawanda and Wheatfield? Creekside Dentistry may be the perfect fit for your family’s needs. Whether you need a local dentist for general dentistry and routine care or a highly trained specialist to treat your complex dental problems, Dr. Neuhaus and Dr. Neuhaus can help.
Call us at (716) 262-8070 or request an appointment online.