Teeth Grinding Amherst NY
Millions of people grind their teeth. Also called Bruxism, teeth grinding can lead to serious problems including jaw disorders, headaches and damaged teeth when left untreated.
Identifying the Signs Teeth Grinding
Bruxism is best treated by a qualified dentist. Dr. Karl Neuhaus has devoted much of his post-graduate training towards the diagnosis and treatment of occlusal disorders including teeth grinding and TMJ dysfunction. He can easily diagnose teeth grinding through a simple visual examination.
Signs and Symptoms of Teeth Grinding
- Worn, flat or chipped teeth
- Abraded tooth enamel
- Sensitive teeth
- Jaw pain or tightness in the jaw muscles
- Facial pain
- Cuts or sores on the inside cheek
Treatment for Teeth Grinding
Stress is the primary cause for teeth grinding. Lifestyle changes and relaxation techniques may help to reduce or stop your teeth grinding. In many cases, though, professional treatment is needed to correct the source of the problem and repair damage caused teeth grinding.
- Bite Guard – Our dentists frequently use a teeth grinding mouth guard, or bite guard, to stop teeth grinding. A bite guard is a customized, removable appliance similar to a sports mouth guard that is made to fit over your teeth and prevent teeth grinding. Most bite guards are worn at night, however some patients wear their teeth grinding mouth guards during high stress situations.
- Bite Alignment Therapy – Dr. Karl Neuhaus is among the most experienced TMJ dentists in the Amherst area, providing a broad range of services to correct the causes of teeth grinding. Malocclusion, or improper alignment of the teeth, is one cause for teeth grinding. Teeth can be corrected to proper alignment through the use of invisible braces, dental crowns, dental veneers or dental implants.
- Cosmetic Dentistry to Repair Damage – Once the teeth grinding causes have been successfully treated, the dentist will focus on repairing damage caused by teeth grinding. Chronic teeth grinding can leave teeth worn, chipped or broken. Our dentists may repair teeth using dental crowns, porcelain veneers or cosmetic bonding.
Schedule an Appointment to Stop Teeth Grinding
If you or someone you love is suffering from teeth grinding, schedule a consultation with the dentists at Creekside Dentistry in Amherst, NY. A simple bite analysis and consultation can reveal whether or not your teeth grinding is caused by TMJ dysfunction and you can be well on your way to much needed relief. Call 716.262.8070 or request an appointment online.